The Dogs We Have Loved

For more information on adopting a racing greyhound click here.

Jake, VP of Security

12/28/1993 - 4/17/07
Nashville Notes X Sophie's Themesong

His racing name was Flatwater Jake and he was our first-born greyhound.  The effect that Jake had on our lives could never be measured by any means available.  He was everything to us.  He was our silent leader here, teaching our foster dogs a lot of what they had to know to become pets without ever making much sound.  We think he ruled by sheer size.  Jake was 90 pounds, tall and skinny.  He was one of the biggest greyhounds we have ever seen.  We won more than a few prizes entering him the "biggest greyhound" contests over the years.

When Jake was 11 years old, he developed autoimmune hemolytic anemia along with a softball sized tumor on his spleen.  Somehow he survived that disease and the tumor turned out to be benign.  What a huge miracle that was!  He lived well for two more years with the help of immune suppressant medications.  Then one evening the angels came for Jake and he died in my arms at home without the help of his veterinarian.  We all dream of having our dogs pass that way so we don't have to make the dreaded decision.  But I found out that it wasn't any easier that way or any less horrible.  


Our Jake on his 13th birthday, only months before he died.



Miss Peanut Pod, VP of Fun

9/6/1996 - 1/21/08
Kiowa Fletcher X CR's Callie Go

Formerly known as Vay's Caitlyn, the name just didn't fit her.  She is the instigator here and never lets a day go by without reminding us that "Girls just wanna have fun."  She is our tiny girl, weighing in at 50 lbs and measuring 23 inches at the shoulder.  When we adopted Peanut, she was having grand mal seizures.  To everyone who passed her by because of her medical condition, you missed out on one great dog. 

Peanut died of a broken heart.  She adored Jake and after he was gone, she was never the same.  In less than a year, Peanut was gone too.  Technically she developed a blood clot and there is nothing in veterinary medicine to fix that.  He doctors were never able to discover a reason for the clot, so we couldn't fix that.  We couldn't fix our Peanut except to send her home to be with Jake.  She will always be the reining Princess to us.


  Peanut at age 10

Tyler, VP of Lounging

4/1/1992 - 4/16/2002
Emerald Blaze X Dark Eyed Girl

Formerly known as Lars Dumbo Jim, we called him T.T., Mr. T., Rocket Butt or Stripey Boy.  Tyler was a senior dog who came to stay with us for a couple weeks while he was being moved across the country to his new home by GUR (Greyhound Underground Railroad).  He never left,  we adopted him and it was our pleasure to have had him in our lives for three short years. 

Tyler also had grand mal seizures, more serious than Peanut's.  But he never let them stop him from enjoying life.  In June of 2001 he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a particularly unforgiving kind of bone cancer.  He was not a candidate for conventional medical treatments such as amputation so we started him on natural remedies and hoped for a little more time with him.  He actually stopped limping for a while and lived happily for almost another year.  His oncologist had no explanation.  Tyler was indeed our miracle dog. 

Cindy, VP of Sticks and Twigs

Flying Highball X Ski's Cricket

Formerly known as Cricketshighball, Cindy came to us at the age of 3.  She was a Tim Waller dog, as we refer to it in these parts.   And that actually means "really good dog."  Cindy was Tim's pet in the racing kennel as she had a handicapped rear end and could never race.  He called her Cindy and so she was to us.  Unless she needed a middle name, which happened frequently, and then she was Cindy Marie.

Our Cindy had a very strong personality for a greyhound.  The veterinarian behaviorist called her a textbook example of dominant aggressive.  We had to learn how to safely coexist with Cindy and we did.  Cindy could not have many toys because she would get really aggressive if there was a toy she particularly coveted.  As a result, sticks and twigs from the yard became like gold to her. 

Most of the time, she just made us laugh because she could be really funny.  She only lived with us for four years, until she was 7 years old.  In the last couple months of her life, her rear end was becoming weaker.  One day she lost the use of one of her rear legs completely.  And there was a slight swelling on that knee.  Acupuncture treatments did not help and she continued to get worse.  We suspect that she had cancer in that leg. 

Cindy's great grandfather on her dad's side is the famous Unruly.  It figures.  Crazy black dog that Cindy was.....